Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, July 6, 2008

21

It was a hot day, I do remember that. I was fast approaching my due date. I didn't know what sex the baby was -- I already had a little girl and was hoping for a boy. I'd been having some pretty hard contractions -- Braxton-Hicks they are called and aren't "true" contractions -- but they were very painful. On July 6, a Monday, I had a regularly scheduled appointment with my OB. I can remember the nurse nearly jumping out of her skin when she took my blood pressure. I have no idea what it was but it must have been sky high. They admitted me to the hospital right away. I can remember my doctor breaking my water to "get things started", then I remember him saying, awhile later, "we're going to have to do something before we have a disaster." The disaster was that I had had a placental abruption. In the not so distant past, it probably would have taken both me and the baby out of this world. I was rushed into an emergency C-section.

It was a boy but I was too sick by then to care. I was vomiting and bleeding profusely. I do remember asking my doctor to tie my tubes but he refused -- that would have been a decision made under duress (and it would have meant no Carrie a few years later). I had to have blood transfusions and more minor surgery because a stitch had accidentally gone around an ureter. I don't remember much about that time -- except a nurse bringing the baby into my room. She was holding him and he was very quiet -- until he heard my voice and jumped a mile. He knew me. He'd heard me from the inside.

I was released from the hospital on July 14 -- his actual due date.

We named him Wesley. And today he is 21 years old. He is tall and handsome with wild curly hair. He's a student at Georgia Tech, studying Computer Engineering.

For him, I'd do it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment