Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Wednesday, November 5, 2008

And so it ends...and begins...

I won't say I'm not disappointed. It's never much fun when your "team" doesn't win -- but voters have spoken -- we all got to cast our ballot and the results are what they are.

This is definitely a historic situation -- and, for that reason, I'm proud of my fellow Americans. I think this era has come sooner than folks expected -- but I've always maintained that when it's the right time, it's the right time. And, now was obviously the right time. I am also proud of Senator McCain's gracious concession speech. He is indeed a patriot who has given and will continue to give much to this country -- and, whether or not you agree with him, he is deserving of respect.

I don't expect to agree with our new Commander-in-Chief on all issues -- and I may write about that -- but I am more than willing to give President-elect Obama a chance. He has promised change -- we can all only hope that it will be for the good of all Americans. There are some people out there who, when their side doesn't win, may secretly -- or not so secretly -- hope that a new administration will fail. This is appalling. I may be a staunch Republican but, beyond that, I am an American first and foremost -- I love this country -- and want what's best for her and her people.

I'm always disheartened when I hear people say, "if XX is elected, I'm leaving the country" (and it was said on both sides -- in this election and in previous ones). Funny thing, none of them ever seem to actually follow through. Our lives will go on, no matter who is in office -- there will be some things which some of us won't like and some things some of us will embrace -- but, in the end, I don't expect to see a vast emigration -- after all, we still see folks from all over the world clamoring to get in. That should tell us something. Love it or hate it, America is the shining beacon of freedom and the hope of a better life.

I respect the office of the President of the United States -- even when the person occupying the Oval Office is someone I didn't vote for. There has been way too much disrespect going on lately -- for the current President, for the candidates, for their supporters -- it's time to end that -- and it begins with you and me. We can still respectfully agree to disagree. It's really not that hard.

President-elect Obama says that he wants to be the president for all of us -- not only the ones who voted for him, but for those who didn't -- he has said that he wants to be a uniter -- I hope and pray he will be -- and I hope the American people will let him.

No comments:

Post a Comment