Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Pranks for the Memories

From The One-Minute Writer

Write about a prank you participated in, experienced, or heard about (on April Fool's Day or any other day.)

I'm not a prankish person -- I like to laugh and have fun -- but not at someone else's expense, which are what pranks usually do. While they are insanely funny to some, many pranks are really nothing but an excuse to make someone appear foolish -- and then be laughed at -- just goes against my grain. This goes on a lot in blogland on April's Fool Day -- which is why I'm pretty much staying away from most blogs today. I'm not a particularly gullible person but I've been caught a few times by something which seemed very real -- before I realized what day it was -- and then felt like an idiot. I don't know about you but feeling like an idiot isn't on my to-do list. Ever.

I also can't think of participating in any kind of prank -- if I ever did, I've blocked it from my memory. So, this dislike of pranks goes way back -- it's not just something I've aged into. I guess I'm just a stick-in-the-mud -- shows like Punk'd or Candid Camera make me cringe (though the old version was quite mild, if I'm remembering correctly). I don't think I would have ever signed the TV release if I'd been the victim of a set-up, though nowadays people are willing to do almost anything for their 15 minutes of fame.

Seventeen years ago, my youngest was due on April 13. But I was also going to have an early c-section in order to avoid problems I'd had with my second pregnancy -- I told the doctor immediately that I didn't want an April Fool's baby if I had a choice. As it was, she decided to come way earlier than that (February 21) so it wasn't an issue. She might have enjoyed having such a birthday but it wasn't going to happen on my watch.

So, for all you prank-loving folks out there, have a great day. But leave me out of it. I'm fine without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment