Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Going Nowhere Fast

Another summer has come and, once again, we've made no vacation plans. In fact, we haven't been on a real vacation in years. I don't know why we can never seem to make plans but we just don't and, then the time my hubby has taken off from work, just goes down the drain. Well, not entirely, we can always go to the lake but that's not a vacation -- not for me, anyway, because when I'm there, I have to do all the same things I do here -- laundry, cooking, cleaning -- all of those things I love so much that I can't wait to do them twice.

All of the deciding where to go and what to do always falls to me -- so, if I don't make any suggestions, then I get all the blame. You know, it's funny, but the sentence, "whatever you want to do" is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's a great thing to be told; on the other, it can be a burden.

Of course, we have another problem -- a very old dog who's blind and can't be left alone for more than a few hours at a time. Board him, you say? Well, that's easy for some folks but we never board our dogs -- we have a room on the back of our house (it was a screened-in porch when we bought the house) where the dogs stay when we're gone -- there's a dog door and plenty of room for all (six) of them. For a long trip, I can have someone come over and check them -- but there's no way I could leave Spencer to fend for himself overnight. So far, he's been able to find his way around -- he goes out and comes back in -- but I worry that if he somehow got stuck outside, he'd die from the heat. I just can't deal with that.

Anyway, I suggested we go down to Universal Studios in Orlando -- that's about an 8 hour drive for us. But Mark has already complained that it would be too hot. He suggested Williamsburg -- about the same amount of driving but north. However, I don't know that it's not just as hot there -- and I don't think they have express passes, either. At this point, considering the target date of arrival is only two weeks away, it's not looking good for anywhere.

It's not a big deal for us, really, but I feel bad for Carrie who never has any vacation stories to tell. Of course, how boring is it, anyway, to go off with just your mom and dad?

So, I don't know. I need a break -- some time away in a place where it's not up to me to decide what's for dinner or to make sure everybody has clean towels.

What I wouldn't give for a transporter -- no packing, no traveling -- and sleep in my own bed every night. With my own dogs. And the TiVo. And my computer in close proximity.

Hmmm. I'm beginning to think I really don't want to go anywhere after all. Maybe a good book would do me just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment