Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Dishpan Hands

My dishwasher is broken. My three-month old dishwasher. The electronic panel has blown out -- and it's now in the process of being ordered. Seven to ten days, they said. Basically, the same thing happened to my old one.

Three months ago.


Anyway, I was thinking about how much we rely on appliances -- and how, of all of them, the dishwasher is the least troublesome. After all, it's not so hard to keep a sink full of water and just wash as I go. I don't like it but I handle it.

So, which appliance do I miss the most if it's out of commission? Well, I want to say my computer but I guess that's not really an appliance, is it? Not having a microwave is not good but, as long as my oven/stove/toaster are working, then I can manage. The coffee and tea makers I can get around. A non-working refrigerator is bad news, too -- except that I have another full-size one (with ice-maker) in the laundry room. I can hang clothes to dry if my dryer is on the blink -- a nuisance but another one of those things that can be done.

So, that leaves the washing machine. I don't have a creek or river behind my house where I can beat clothes. I do have a bathtub but, let's face it, I'm not going to beat my clothes, anyway. So, if my washing machine is out, this means that I have to either go to the laundromat (ugh) or take my dirty clothes over to my mother's. Which is better than a laundromat but still not something I want to do -- I'm not much on schlepping. So, I give the most-needed award to my washing machine. Even with two kids out of the house and the laundry down to three people, I wash a tremendous amount. Every time the thing makes a funny noise, I start praying.

I guess they don't make things like they used to -- and electronic panels, while nice, cost a tremendous amount to replace when they go bad. Fortunately, this dishwasher is still under warranty -- if it weren't, then it would probably cost half of what the whole dishwasher cost to replace. This actually happened on a washing machine once -- the electronic panel went out not long after we got it. It was repaired under warranty but then it went out again after the warranty was up -- so we ditched it -- and when I got a new one, I chose one with the old-fashioned knobs. So many things are going to the electronic panels now, though, that knobs will probably be a thing of the past before long. My oven has an electronic panel, too, but it's not much-used, I have to admit -- and not something I'd cry over.

So, for now, I'm washing dishes. It takes me back to the long-ago days when we didn't even have a dishwasher. But I was young then and not so attached to machines that do stuff for me.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get the clothes and dishes to put themselves into the appliances -- and then take themselves out, I'd have it made.

No comments:

Post a Comment