Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, January 25, 2009

Home again

We just got back from Myrtle Beach, SC -- sounds great, I suppose, other than it's January and not really the beach-going time of year. But that's not why we went, anyway -- it was the first away game for my daughter's traveling volleyball team (sometimes the games are here so its the other teams which have to travel). They didn't do great -- they were down their two hitters (because they had to take the SATs) but they held their own, considering, though they did not advance into tournament play. They seemed to have fun, too. Which may have had something to do with the fact that the two who were not there are the biggest grumblers.

Anyway, I hadn't been to Myrtle Beach, tourist mecca that it is, for years. I hate to say how many years but I was a child then and, now, well, I'm far from it. The only thing I really remember about that long ago trip was that there were trampolines built into the sand on the beach. Funny the things we remember.

It rained all day yesterday and was cold there today so, other than volleyball, we didn't do much -- nor did we have the time anyway -- but there is plenty to do there, if you like the tacky, touristy-type of stuff. Still, it may be a place we'll go back one day -- they have an aquarium and several Ripley's attractions, plus Medieval Times where Carrie and I have been wanting to go (there is one in Atlanta, too). I need some place to where my Richard III earrings and pendant, thank you Ebay.

When I woke this morning, I opened the curtains to see what the day looked like -- we weren't on the beach but were close enough to see it -- especially since we were on the 8th floor of the hotel. The rays of the sun were striking the water, illuminating circles here and there -- quite a lovely sight -- but, of course, I had forgotten my camera. How many times have I uttered the words, "I wish I had my camera!". A bunch -- and one more to add to it.

We stayed at one of the "higher end" hotels -- mainly because it was close to the volleyball venue -- and because the off-season rates were very low. But, I realized again, that I really prefer the "middle" type hotels -- they usually have free internet connections and a breakfast -- this hotel had neither. Really, the only extra was room service, which we did not and never do use. Other that that, it was two beds, a TV and a bathroom. Nothing special.

So, we are home and glad of it. No matter where I roam or how good a time I may have had, home -- with smelly, loud dogs, my computer and TiVo -- is where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment