Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, February 22, 2009

Letting go...and letting God...

Today was the last Contemporary Service worship at our church. That particular service has been in existence for 11 years -- and we've attended it for ten (since we started going to this church). The cessation of this service isn't wholly unexpected -- unfortunately there are some folks who tend to think if you're not worshiping in the traditional way (where is that in the Bible exactly?) then you're not really worshiping. The impetus for finally canceling the service was the renovation of the Family Life Center where the contemporary worship has always been held -- we were first told it was simply a hibernation until the renovations were complete. But, today, the praise band, stripped down to acoustics, performed for the last time -- until they appear in some other incarnation in the other service. Not holding my breath. What? Drums in the sanctuary?!!!

The intention now is for the traditional service to become a more blended service -- with elements of both traditional and contemporary worship. We shall see. I believe -- and predict -- that the more traditional worshipers may well endeavor to squash the more contemporary aspects. I hope I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong. I will be the first one to call it a miracle if the service can successfully make this leap to something new and innovative.

But sometimes change is good and perhaps, this is exactly what our church needs in order to grow -- and, of course, it's not about me, anyway. Or shouldn't be. Change is hard and even good changes can be difficult -- and I'm as human as the next person. This service is going to be deeply missed and will leave a very large gap in my spiritual life.

But God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

And I never know what He has in store next.

Sort of scary, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment