Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Addicted to Paperbackswap

I've mentioned Paperbackswap before -- I'm still going strong with it -- at this point, I've mailed out 111 books and have received 87 -- I don't know how those numbers compare with other users -- I've been doing this for several months but there are folks who've been at it longer and probably have much higher numbers. I got an e-mail from PBS the other day, though, asking me to please continue to swap the books I've received. This isn't a hard and fast rule -- you can keep them or re-swap them -- but they'd like you to keep those books in the system. Some of them I do but some I want to keep -- not to mention I'm not going through books very fast nowadays so most of them are still on my TBR pile.

One of the things I always do is check out the sender's other books when I've requested one -- it saves money to send books to one address so, if they have one I want, I go ahead and request it from the same person. It's funny how there are often books I already have on those lists -- but it makes sense -- if I'm requesting one they have, it stands to reason they may like the same sort of books I do.

I also found out something else recently -- teen and young adult books go like wildfire. My daughter cleaned off her bookshelves after I asked her to go through them and see if she had any she'd be willing to let go -- she had a ton of them -- and I've put them all on PBS. In the last week, over 50 books have been requested -- most of those were on someone's "wishlist" -- but even those which aren't are being steadily requested.

Right now, I'm sitting on 44 credits (some of the credits of the mailed books haven't come through yet). I tend to not request books left and right -- I'm usually disappointed when I read something out of my usual genre (historical fiction -- and even within that genre, I'm pretty specific) so I really don't request/buy books which aren't to my usual liking -- unless the reviews have been phenomenal and, even then, I'm often not thrilled. What can I say -- contemporary novels just aren't my thing. Anyway, my PBS wishlist is a mile long so I'm hording my credits for those, too -- one series I've been collecting is the Brother Cadfael novels (in hardcover) and those have been popping up with regularity -- I think I have about half of them now.

By the way, I have a link to Paperbackswap over on the right hand side of this blog. I'm not sure if I did it correctly but, if you use that link to sign up (at the present time, PBS is free), I think I may get extra credits -- so that would be appreciated. If I didn't do it correctly, then it's just a link...

2 comments:

  1. I love PaperBackSwap, too. It's such a great idea and you do save a bunch of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, April -- I think I sent you a book?! Yeah, I'm really enjoying Paperbackswap -- but I have so many books there's no way I'm going to get through them before I die!! Anyway, I'll continue to do PBS until I get tired of it (maybe), run out of books (never) or if they start charging some sort of outrageous fee!

    ReplyDelete