Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sarah, not plain but tall

I have absolutely no idea what Sarah Palin is doing. I'm sure she has a plan and I imagine we'll all know what it is eventually. I'm not sure she should be labeled as a "quitter", though -- I've never really understood how people campaigning for president can keep their "day" job, anyway, and continue to do it well since running for president is a full-time job in itself. Anyway, I can understand her reasoning if what she is doing is preparing for 2012 -- if she's not going to run for governor again, why not step out of the way and let someone dedicated to being Alaska's governor take the helm? I don't know -- it makes sense to me. But maybe I'm one of those who's succumbed to her "act". That's one of those perception things - I could say the same thing about Obama supporters. Perhaps they see what they want to see, just as I might.

For me personally, my desire would be to see Mike Huckabee run again. I think he is fair and honest and knows what he's talking about, however, if Sarah Palin is the nominee, she will get my vote -- in the end, it really has more to do with the party platform, not who the person is. At least, that's how it is for me. I actually like the way they do elections in the UK -- the party is elected and then the leader is chosen by the party. I can see there could be problems with that but, at least, then you can do away with these popularity contests that our elections have become. If you think back to your high school days, the winner of "most popular" was not always the brightest bulb in the pack.

Along those same lines, when in the world are people going to stop harping on how Sarah Palin looks? I would hate to be judged by how I look -- my appearance has absolutely nothing to do with my abilities. Nothing. In appearance, I'm pretty much a frumpy, middle-aged housewife -- but I believe I'm intelligent, creative and am even able to perform a few complicated tasks. I would hate to think I might be passed over because I don't "look the part". I'm still shaking my head over the catty comments made (mostly by other women) about Ms. Palin's appearance. I mean, really, what is that all about? After awhile, it starts to smell like jealousy or fear because there's really no other reason to put forth that she's not capable because of her appearance -- maybe she's not capable but, if she isn't, it doesn't have one thing to do with her hairstyle or makeup. Or whether she was a beauty queen.

The other thing that makes my heart heavy is when I hear people (again, mostly women) say things like "Sarah Palin needs to stay home with her family". What?!! So, are you saying that all mothers should stay home -- or just the ones you don't like? Let's see, what exactly has the feminist movement been all about? Wasn't it the ability to make choices?

And, then there's still that "family values" issue. Oh, my Lord. How many of you have teenagers -- raise your hand. Do your kids always practice what you preach? I think not. To say that Ms. Palin can't stand for family values because her teenage daughter got pregnant is absurd. I guess Ms. Palin failed because she wasn't with her child every single second of every single day. I always hope and pray that my kids will take what we've tried to teach them to heart -- but, hey, they've got their own minds -- and their own set of hormones -- and I can only do so much. It doesn't mean I approve, only that sh*t happens in the best of families.

If you don't agree with Ms. Palin's (or whoever's) views , then, by all means, don't support her. I vote for the candidate who most closely resembles what I believe in (no candidate is ever 100% -- and when people say that they support every single thing a politician does or says, frankly, I don't believe them). I do not vote for or against based on sex, race or how someone looks. And I never will. I believe in intelligent choices, not emotional ones.

But, hey, I'm only a stay-at-home mom, which is, I guess, where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment