Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chickamauga


I don't know what it is but there's something about standing in the middle of a national battlefield which makes me feel quite ill -- probably because Chickamauga is dedicated to the American Civil War. Anytime I think about a war which pits brother against brother (figuratively and literally), it makes me think of how differences can lead to such horrible consequences -- I hope it will never come to that in this country again but there are so many people who feel that they are the only ones who are correct and don't hesitate to point out (discourteously and patronizingly) how ignorant and wrong everyone else must be that sometimes I wonder how much it would take, nowadays, for people to stand up and say "no more".

Visiting Chickamauga National Battlefield was such a moving and heartbreaking experience -- and these are the words which struck me as we wandered over acres and acres of history and monuments to the fallen:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it...

No comments:

Post a Comment