Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, February 21, 2010

I believe in angels...

I had a troubled pregnancy from the beginning. But things calmed down and, for a few months, everything went smoothly. I had a little morning sickness and I didn't gain much weight -- a marked contrast from my previous two pregnancies. But then, in mid-February, trouble started again. At the hospital, the monitor showed that I was having regular contractions, though I felt nothing. For a week, they tried to suppress the birth.

But she'd have none of it.

Due on April 13, she was born on February 21.

That was 1992

And today Carrie turns 18 years old.

People have insisted that I must have been terrified that she wouldn't make it. I never was. Whether it was faith or stubbornness, I don't know. I do know that the night before she was born, I was visited by angels. I don't claim that it was anything but a dream but, then again, who's to ask how God sends His messages? Sometimes, perhaps, the only time we'll really listen is when we're asleep and our mouths aren't moving.

The angels that I saw were not lily-white. They were grimy -- their feathers ruffled and soiled.

I knew exactly why.

They were working hard and when you work hard, you get dirty.

And I knew everything would be okay.

Happy Birthday, Carebear!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely, lovely tribute! Happy birthday, indeed, Carebear!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful baby girl :-). Look at that smile! I have been there and done just what you did. My son was due Feb. 27 and was born January 9th. He was 7 weeks premature back in 1977. He is now 33 years old and a Surgeon doing his residency in Mission Viejo. I never doubted that he would make it either.
    God Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe my baby is 18 -- where did the time go? Seriously, where?

    Susie, my husband's birthday is also January 9 -- a great day to be born!!

    ReplyDelete