Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Monday, March 31, 2008

Living in Two Worlds

I live in two worlds all the time.

There's the one where I physically reside. Then there's the other one -- the one where voices constantly whisper in my ear and I watch, as if viewing a movie, the unfolding of my characters' lives. Those closest to me know, if I have a faraway look in my eyes, I am, indeed, faraway. And that sometimes my characters have a stronger hold on my attention than the real people who surround me.

I've figured out something else as well. I also live in two worlds within each story I write. I go about writing like this -- I write a chapter very quickly, then move on to the next one, then, when I get ready to post a chapter, I go back and edit. So, often, I'm writing one chapter while editing another. For instance, right now, as I write this, I am also editing Chapter 26 of FANCY. I am also writing Chapter 37. So, I am going back and forth between what happened in the previous chapter and what's happening in the latest one. Confusing? Not for me

I think I will always write like this -- and will always require an audience to read along as I write. Posting chapters forces me to edit and knowing that folks are waiting for the chapters forces me to post. I think if I didn't have readers waiting, I wouldn't be nearly as willing to spend my time working on already written chapters. I'd still write but would I go back and re-work the chapters so diligently? I'm not sure because this is always the way I've done it.

It's amazing how often something which happens in the chapter I am editing dovetails with the chapter I am writing. It's almost scary sometimes. As if it had all been planned when it never is. This was particularly true when I was writing ALANNAH and was some thirty chapters ahead of what I was posting (talk about living in two worlds...whew...I think I can safely say I was living in three worlds back then).

So, yeah, I think I will always write, edit, post. And, as long as I have a few readers who are willing to read a chapter at a time (and comment on what I'm doing right or wrong), this will always be what works.

So, welcome to my world.

Both of them.

And, jeez, I'm always reading something, too, so there's another whole world to contend with...

No comments:

Post a Comment