Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Friday, September 12, 2008

Ass-backwards

I've really started to zone out on the presidential election. I know who I'm going to vote for and only something massive could cause me to change my mind (and, if that happened, I guess I'd have to abstain). There is one topic though that is really bugging me -- and that's the talk about how a woman who has children could possibly be in a position of power.

Now, you all know I'm voting for the McCain/Palin ticket but this goes way beyond that. How dare anyone suggest that Ms. Palin -- or any other woman on any other ticket -- can't do whatever a man can do? This, in 2008, absolutely boggles my mind. Have we made all of these strides for it to come to this? Because, quite frankly, anyone who says she can't do the job and be a mother is living in the dark ages.

The tired, usual argument is that no one would ever say that about a man. Well, it may be tired and usual but it's true. I've never heard that said about a man in any walk of life. Men work long hours, some spend countless days away from home but, still, nobody says he can't also be a good father. They fall back on the old "quantity over quality" debate. But, for some reason, that doesn't always apply to mothers.

Personally, I couldn't do it -- but, then again, I've never had any ambition in the working world. But, that's just me. If a woman feels she can perform a job -- any job -- then who is anybody to say she can't?

All I know is that this is a giant step backward, if this is how people are really thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment