Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Thursday, September 25, 2008

Out and About

I'm really happy for Clay Aiken. I've been a fan ever since I first saw him on American Idol. I have to admit he's an aberration for me -- I'm really a rock and roll girl and Clay's style is not usually what appeals to me. I can say the same thing about my other great musical love, Brian Kennedy. Who is also gay. Hmmm...am I sensing a pattern here?



Anyway, Clay's sexuality has been gossiped about for years. I think I probably always knew but I had two daughters who, at that time, were ga-ga for Clay (and I was right there with them) and I didn't want to burst their fangurl bubble. Or mine, apparently. But now he's come out and I think that's a good thing.

I've spent the last few months writing a story called FANCY (which, for the time being, you can read on my forum). The convoluted novel, which ended up being far longer than I ever thought it would, hinges on misunderstandings about alternative lifestyles (think blokes in dresses). I've had gay characters in many of the stories I've written -- I'm not sure why -- I've always said that I just write what the voices tell me and if they say, "hey, I'm gay!" then who am I to argue? The point being I've written about gay people hiding their true selves and the problems they encounter when they don't live their lives to the fullest. Of course, coming out has its own set of problems. But, as far as I'm concerned, people just need to be themselves. And, for that reason, I applaud Mr. Aiken.

No comments:

Post a Comment