Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dear President Obama

Today, my heart swells with pride. Your inauguration is groundbreaking and historical and, yet, it's not so much that which makes me proud but the simple fact that I live in a country where, with hard and honest work, anyone can become anything they want to be. I would ask you, as you take the reins of this great nation, that you remember that you got where you are by working for it -- not by idly waiting for someone to hand it to you. This is what makes America great.

Today -- and every day -- the eyes of the world turn to the United States of America. We are demonized and yet expected to fix everything. We are demonstrated against and yet people from all around the globe pour into our harbors and airports daily -- or risk life and limb to get here by any means possible. Because, with all of her faults, the United States is the shining beacon of hope to so many.

I ask that you always remember, even though the Electoral College is what determines the presidential election, that the popular vote was split between you and Senator McCain. This means that though we've been subjected to a heavily pro-Obama media which might have us believe otherwise, there are a vast number of citizens who did not vote for you. There will still be dissenters as you make your choices. Those dissenters are doing exactly what we, as US citizens, are allowed to practice -- free speech. Listen to them because sometimes you learn more from your opposition than you do from those who agree with you. Though I was one of those who did not vote for you, I am more than willing for you to be my president though there are many issues on which you and I are not likely to agree.

I ask you to acknowledge that what is wrong with this country did not only occur in the last 8 years. And that what is right did not only begin at noon today.

I was glad to see you bobble the Presidential Oath -- it showed a side of you which isn't usually seen -- and made you appear more human.

I wish you strength, health, discernment, tolerance (yes, even you need it) and, most of all, faith.

Now, we go forward -- hopefully with eyes wide open.

God Bless America.

Sincerely,

Lynn from Georgia

P.S. I cried when President Bush got on the helicopter. Just so you know.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. BTW, I cried too. Must be a Lynn(e) from Georgia thing.

    ReplyDelete