Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Monday, February 23, 2009

Imagination Prompt

A lot blogs have "writing prompts" - these prompts are generated daily (in most cases) and they give bloggers a phrase or idea to expand upon -- basically a mini writing challenge -- a way for writers -- or anybody -- to get the creative juices flowing. Some of the blogs use the same generator so I thought I'd look for something a bit different and I found Imagination Prompt. I won't be doing this everyday -- especially if none of the prompts really inspire me but, if they do -- and I have nothing else to write about -- I'll give them a shot. Of course, the whole idea is to write whether you are inspired or not but I like to be difficult. So, I'll do them when I feel like it.

I'll start with this one:

If the phone rang right now, who would you want it to be?

That's easy. My eldest daughter, Shannon. Since she no longer lives at home (college, now married) I don't get to see her or talk to her every day so it's always good to hear her voice. She always says, "hi, mom" and then launches into whatever she wants to tell me. I'm not a chatter by nature -- I seldom call people just to shoot the breeze so, sometimes, when the phone rings and I'm not in the mood, I really don't want to answer the phone (and, sometimes, I don't) but if the caller ID says it's Shannon, I pick up -- even if I'm in the middle of exercising and panting heavily. We've crossed that line where I'm still her mother but we are also equals. And I like it. I could also say my son, Wesley. But, when he calls, I always have a momentary knot in my belly as to what he'll have to say. I don't know if it's because he's in Atlanta and the big city still worries me -- or if it's a normal reaction with sons more so than daughters -- I imagine it depends on the son or daughter. My youngest is still at home so our phone conversations are usually brief (come pick me up or I'm staying after school for a study session). Maybe one day, when she's moved away, I'll be glad to hear her voice as well -- though, like me, she'd not much into small talk. So our conversations may still be "come pick me up". Especially is she doesn't get her driver's license soon. But that's another topic, for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment