Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Monday, March 30, 2009

Fine-tuned

I've been married almost 28 years. It hasn't all been roses and sunshine but we took each other for better or worse and we meant it then and we mean it now. I don't have a big secret to a long, happy marriage other than we trust each other -- which is probably more important, in the long run, than love -- and we tell each other how we feel and we laugh all the time.

We had a good laugh tonight. We took a walk and passed by a house where they were obviously getting ready to cut down a few trees. A logging truck was parked on the street as was a stump grinder. Mark oohed and ahhed over the stump grinder. Yes, a stump grinder. You see, he may be a physician and earn his living with brains rather than brawn but, in his heart, he's a big kid who thinks big machinery is fascinating (right along with the Cartoon Network).

I told him that I bet he'd like to own a stump grinder and, of course, he said yes, he would. Now, realize that this particular grinder was the size of a small car -- and, not in a million years would he ever own one or even use one (well, maybe once or twice). But, if we were living in the realm of the ridiculous, he would probably have one -- and it would be parked right next to the ditch witch.

So, I asked him, okay, then, what is it that I would like to have -- something out-of-the-ordinary, something not normal, something absurd?

He thought a minute then said, "An elephant."

Man, does he know me or what?!

2 comments:

  1. Elephants are neat and I think every family should have a few. You can't have just one because they're very social animals and like to be around their friends.

    For me, I'd want a baby panda.

    When I was a lot younger, I wanted an octopus. I planned on putting red sneakers on its "feet" and taking it for walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree -- every animal deserves a buddy -- so why have one if you can have two?! I think pandas are wonders to behold -- I'd never seen one in person until last summer (in Atlanta). We had to visit the exhibit again before we left the zoo -- just too adorable for one viewing. I wouldn't say no to a giraffe, either.

    ReplyDelete