Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In the next year...

From Imagination Prompt:

I'm going to...

I wish I could come up with something fabulous and exciting but the one thing that looms over me this year is my next birthday. In August, I will turn 50. Age is just a number but, honestly, that's a pretty damn big number. The half century mark. How did I reach this point?!

Well, I've just about decided that anybody who does reach 50 is probably pretty fortunate. No, it's not like the olden days when reaching even 25 was a milestone but when you think about all the things which can take us out of this world, reaching 50 is actually an accomplishment. And, anyway, what choice do I have? Grow old or die young. I'll take the growing old as long as my body is working and my brain is still functioning -- but we don't really get a choice in that either, do we?

I don't feel 50. I don't think I look 50 (but I'm probably not the one to judge). I find myself speculating about somebody else's age and thinking, "he must be at least 50" and then have to remind myself that so am I. I guess 50 sits differently on everyone.

In my head, I still feel about 25 -- I'm still a rock and roll girl though the volume's been turned down a bit. I've lived long enough to know when it's necessary to be serious and when it's absolutely imperative to be silly. And that sometimes both are needed during the same situation. I don't know everything but I know a lot more than I did at 25. So, maybe in another 25 years, I'll really have some wisdom to impart.

But don't count on it. I'll probably be even sillier by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment