Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, March 8, 2009

Take a chill pill

On the way home from a volleyball tournament last night, a mother (and her daughter) who'd hitched a ride home with us commented on Carrie being polite -- always a nice thing for a mother to hear (or should be). Anyway, I then commented on how it seemed that most of the girls at these tournaments seemed polite -- it was the parents who needed a chill pill. Over the last few tournaments, we've had people telling others -- loudly and inappropriately -- where they could or could not sit, speaking harshly to line judges (who are teenagers and members of other teams) or being sarcastic.

Now, I like a bit of sarcasm myself but never (intentionally) to make anyone feel stupid. But, when we entered the entrance hall of the gym yesterday, we were looking at the schedule to see whether our team was playing on Court 1 or Court 2. Seeing that it was Court 1, I remarked that we'd have to figure out which one court 1 was. Some guy (a dad, I guess) shot back that Court 1 was the one which was marked Court 1. Well, who would have thought? I just walked off -- but I wish I'd said something a wee bit snarky back to him. Anyway, we've been to plenty of tournaments where the courts are not marked -- and we hadn't yet been inside the actual gym to see whether these were or not.

Anyway, I don't know if it's because some of these parents just get overwrought about the game (which is nuts -- even if they are hoping a scout is there and their child might get a college scholarship, it's not everyone else's problem if things aren't to their liking) 0r whether they're just jerks to begin with, but sometimes common sense -- and good manners -- seem to fly out the window.

It's not just at volleyball games, either. Good manners are not as easy to find as they used to be -- and, really, it takes just as much time to be nice to someone, as it does to be rude. I'm not saying that some folks don't need, on occasion, to be taken down a notch or two, but, overall, it's just not worth it to give those types the time of day. A lot of time, bullies (and that's what they are -- just grown up ones) are looking to get a reaction and, when they don't, that's when they get annoyed.

Anyway, it's sad how sometimes the parents ruin what ought to be a fun-filled time for their kids because their own needs aren't being met. I just go to sit on my butt all day and watch Carrie play. I don't need the drama and am not sure why so many people do.

No comments:

Post a Comment