Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Friday, August 28, 2009

Two Worlds (or more) in One Head


I've always got story ideas swirling around in my head -- I never know which one will end up becoming my next writing adventure -- I always say it's whatever voice screams the loudest -- although sometimes a whisper will get my attention, too. All I know is that I've had one story waiting for years to be told, another one constantly simmering but never quite coming together -- and a whole lot of upstarts which often end up being the one written.

Before I write anything, a little research is often involved. Usually not a lot -- I'm not writing historical novels or anything which requires massive amounts of studying up on a particular subject. But I do occasionally, have to tell my husband, in case he looks at my recent searches on the computer, not to be alarmed. Yesterday, it was "second degree murder" and "voluntary manslaughter". There have been others like "divorce in Georgia" or "buying real estate in the historic district of Charleston" which probably would have had him questioning me immediately although he knows it's just that "other life" of mine.

I don't function well if I'm not writing. It doesn't necessarily even have to be anything I'm going to share with anyone -- and, sometimes, just working on a blog post is enough to satisfy me. I waited many, many years to really get down to writing but, when I did, it opened a floodgate which I don't think will ever close. Whether I'm ever published, writing is a joy which I can't really describe, a freedom, a must.

So, now I piddle with a new idea -- and revisit some older ones -- until one sticks -- and that will be the one I tackle. Sometimes the words flow easily, sometimes it's a challenge but, no matter what, I will be inhabiting two (or more) worlds at the same time.

I really don't know how to exist any other way.

2 comments:

  1. I know the feeling. I love writing. Ideas come at me at the most interesting moments sometimes. I have a few ideas that I started on but can't seem to figure out exactly where I want to go with them. What I'm currently working on now is a "what if" type and while its based on a historical person there is some research involved (but since I'm not writing about what ACTUALLY happened but COULD have happened I don't have to worry quite as much!).

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, much easier to work on a "could have" rather than a "did"!! Who's your historical person?

    Sometimes I have several ideas in my head which make no sense then, somewhere down the line, they'll work for a story I'm writing -- or several will meld together to form a whole other story. I love how that works!

    ReplyDelete