Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Saturday, August 22, 2009

Whack


Volleyball has started again -- high school volleyball, anyway. Once this is over, in October, we'll have about a two week rest before club volleyball starts. Either way, we spend a lot of time sitting on bleachers -- although we have a pair of fold-up rocking chairs that people stare at with lust.

I want to really try to enjoy this year -- as I watch my last child play for the last time. Carrie is a senior and, unless she chooses to pursue volleyball in college (I don't think she will but you never know), this will be it. Shannon played volleyball (got a full scholarship to a small college in SC but didn't want to go there) and basketball, Wesley played soccer mostly -- did a couple of turns with baseball and basketball. Carrie played a little basketball in middle school but, afterward, it was volleyball all the way. I know the game pretty well now, though I never played sports myself -- and I'm totally uninterested unless a child of mine is playing -- but I never paid much attention to details or rules, so don't ask me. I understand the ref's calls -- I just never see them when they happen.

Carrie goes to a Catholic high school -- they are the Fightin' Irish -- Carrie's position is setter -- so we refer to her as the"Irish Setter". Cute, huh? We probably didn't make that up but we like to think we did.

So, this year is going to be a year of "lasts". Some, we will be grateful to never have to do again; others we will miss. I won't miss the early mornings or long days of volleyball but I will miss watching my kids play.

But there are always grandchildren...

No comments:

Post a Comment