Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Friday, October 23, 2009

Stop me before I rescue again...


I don't really want another dog right now. Coming from me, that's a huge statement, considering I've often said I really need to live out in the country somewhere so that I can have a canine sanctuary.

The thing is, we've lost three dogs in less than a year. Anybody who's been reading this blog or my forum knows all about it. For folks like us, who eat and sleep with their dogs, losing one is like losing a member of the family -- so, we've had a very rough year. We lost Spencer less than a month ago -- he was old and it was expected so it's been easier to bear but it's meant that we now only have four dogs instead of five. To most people, that probably sounds like three too many but we're used to it -- so adding another dog into the mix is probably only a matter of time.

But I'd really like to wait -- for what, I don't know -- but it just seems a reasonable thing to do. However, Mark has a stepbrother who has a mutt who has given birth to a big litter of puppies (I think they are between 2 or 3 months old now) and he is desperate to find homes for them. So, here we are, able to take one but not really desiring to do so. We've seen the mama dog -- she's not small -- and they say the father is some sort of terrier (the idea of these match-ups always amuse me). But we have no idea what these pups look like or what they will become. No, looks aren't everything but I do know I don't want a long-haired dog -- nor do I want one with the snippy behavior of some terriers -- nor do I want one which will become a giant. Which is another nutty statement, considering every time I see that commercial with a Great Dane, I say, "I want one of those".

Anyway, there is a distinct possibility that we will see some of these puppies this weekend. And, if we do, will we be able to say no? The only guarantee I have of not taking one would be not to see them -- and even that is debatable.

Well, I've always said that I will be led to the dogs I'm supposed to have. And we have said we'd like a puppy next time -- since we haven't had a true puppy since we got Clayton, our now 70 pound mutt. And, we've lost Spencer right at the time these puppies are available. And there is a black and white female, though brindle Liesl has already put an end to having an all black and white pack. And I'm afraid, if homes aren't found for these pups, they will end up with a rescue group -- or worse, in the pound.

So, I don't know. We'll see. I don't know that I'm ready to deal with a puppy and all that entails. But, I've done it before -- I know what to do and how to do it. And I think I'm going to offer to pay to get the mama dog fixed.

Sometimes I wonder exactly what God has put me here for and maybe, just maybe, this is it.






Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment