Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Friday, December 4, 2009

This, that and the other thing...

For some insane reason, I'm having most of the first floor of my house painted at probably the worst time of year. It's needed it for a long time and when we called our usual fix-it man, we figured we'd be on his waiting list for awhile -- which was fine since there was no hurry. But, then he called before Thanksgiving and said he had time right now -- so what was I going to do?

Anyway, I thought that this much painting was way too much for one person but he seemed confident that he could handle it though, in the back of my mind, I was wondering just how long it was going to take him. But, then he got sick and had to call in a painting crew -- fortunately, they've worked for us before and do excellent work -- so no problem on my end. It's definitely going much quicker than it would have.

They've been working all week and, on Monday, they'll do the kitchen and that'll be it -- for now. There's still a lot around here that needs freshening up. Apparently, I've been watching too much HGTV. But, hey, I've learned how to make things better by making simple changes -- and painting, while a nuisance, is actually one of those simple things.

I'm bad about putting things off -- and, in fact, after we'd agreed to let him paint, I almost called him and told him I just couldn't deal with it so close to Christmas. But I didn't -- now I can get on with changing the room that is supposed to be the dining room back into a dining room. And just in time for the smaller table I've ordered to take the place of the big dining table which will now be in the other room...well, you get the picture. I have some pieces of furniture which I think have been in every room of the house at one time or another. You should see the looks I get when I say I want to move this to there.

Speaking of procrastination, I put off getting new flooring for way too long -- we finally did it right before our eldest daughter got married. That was a pretty stressful time, too, but the wedding was our impetus to do something that should have been done long before. Now, I'll have to work my way up to getting the wood floors refinished. I can't think about it without shuddering.

I will say, though, that having work done in the house makes me take stock of what needs to stay and what needs to go. My hubby doesn't know yet that I gave away the piano. If I wasn't going to turn that room into a dining room, he probably wouldn't realize it for months. We've had some words about that piano -- I never understood his attachment to it -- it's old, yes, but it's not a piece that was in either family -- and nobody has played it for years. The kids took lessons when they were younger but they went by the wayside when other activities (volleyball, soccer, horses) became more important. Anyway, the last time we had a discussion about it, he said, "do what you want to do". So I did. The idea of someone using it for what it's meant for -- rather than a place to sit photos -- makes me happy.

So, as you can imagine, I haven't done any Christmas decorating. Last Christmas was so bad (because of the unexpected death of a dog), that I really wanted to try to do better this year. But, if I could get away with it, I'd do absolutely zero. What I need, really, is to decorate entirely with disposable items. That way, instead of having to put them back up in the attic, I could throw them out.

This is probably the last year we'll have a live Christmas tree. Next year, our youngest will fly the coop so it's probably back to an artificial one. This makes no sense considering I just said that I would like to use disposable decorations -- but trees have needles and that just makes more work. And, if you forget to water them, they drop even more. Can you tell this might have been a problem for us over the years?

The dogs will be glad when the painting is done. They've had to stay out in the sunroom during the day -- poor babies -- having to stay in a big comfortable room with access to outside whenever they want! They don't see it that way, though -- they want to be where I am.

So, now I've got to get serious about shopping. I've done some online but not enough. And, every single year, I have to wrack my brains to get something for Mark.

It won't be a piano.




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. You can dispose of the artificial ones. I have three up here at the office. The workers finally set on up out in the production area and all the lights still work. ( I hate packing those things back up they don't fit in their box).. I just tell "The Boss" that I couldnt find them. Go buy another one.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, that's an idea...buy 'em cheap after Christmas...then toss them the next...I like it...

    ReplyDelete