Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nothing much

I've been a little silent lately -- what's up with that? Just a lot going on -- nothing major -- but figured this would be a good time for catch-up.

Daphne's surgery went well. The day after, she was her old self -- probably too much of her old self that soon after being spayed but it's hard to contain exuberance. Wouldn't it be great if, every once in awhile, we could have just an hour of seeing the world the way a puppy does?

Last week, my brother, sister-in-law (from Arizona) and niece (from Colorado) came for a visit. My brother is 14 years older than I am -- and my niece is only ten years younger. And most of my first cousins are considerably older than I am (closer in age to my mother than to me). So, when I think about it, our family dynamics are somewhat different, I think, than most people. But it's all I've ever known.

I also had a visit from my friend, Denise. We've known each other since 6th grade. We've been through the Osmond Brothers all the way to KISS. We don't live close to each other now but when we get together, it's like the conversation starts right back up with "as I was saying..."

I've been trying to stay away from politics -- I figure we the people will speak in the voting booth -- and they did in Massachusetts (and they had every right to "speak" as they did). I don't know about you but if I hear the words inherited or transparency again, I might not be held responsible -- since one is used way too much and the other has not been looked-up in the dictionary lately. I've also noticed that when I read things written by liberals about conservatives, they often say the very same things that the conservatives are saying about them. I wish people would remember that all opinions carry the same weight. You may not agree with someone but it doesn't make you right and the other person wrong. Very few things in life are black and white -- most are a lovely shade of gray. All the people I know in "real life" -- whether liberal or conservative -- are very nice, normal, thoughtful people so I wish folks on both sides would stop holding up the far-right or the far-left as "typical."

Carrie, my youngest, went on her senior trip to Disney World. I was extremely jealous, I must say. I love Disney World -- it's only an 8 hour drive from us so I don't know why we don't just pack up and go more often. It's been several years since we've been to Orlando but we are discussing going to Universal this summer. I am not a competitive person but the Men in Black ride gets my juices flowing big-time. The last time we were there, I actually apologized to a "single rider" who got put in with us. We were so into scoring big points that we sort of went overboard -- and knowing where the photo was going to be taken (during the ride) -- and mugging for it -- didn't help. The guy looked a bit shell-shocked when he disembarked.

Seems like a lot of people I know are having medical problems -- or have family members who are. Our across-the-street neighbor, pregnant with her 5th child (they have four boys) is going to lose this baby -- it's not growing but, at the moment, still has a heartbeat. Another neighbor is worried about a possible tumor. A friend's sister has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Another friend's mother has acute leukemia. Sometimes I'm not sure what to pray for -- often it's just for strength in the face of adversity.

I have jury duty coming up in a couple of weeks. It seems that I get called every two or so years -- while some people never get called. I really don't mind it too much -- it is a civic duty -- but it's difficult for people who have to take off from jobs or have to arrange care for their children. I don't have to worry about either of those any more but I don't like the feeling of being herded around like a bunch of dumb cows. I guess they do that because some people just don't listen to instructions but it's another reason why jury duty is not very palatable. The last few times I've been summoned, I never even made it into the "box" but, in the past, I've served on three different juries -- the first one when I was eight months pregnant. The judge told me to raise my hand if I needed to go to the restroom.

Speaking of restrooms -- in mine, there's a place where sections of the mirror come together and if you stand right in front of the crack, you look thinner...so I spend a lot of time in that spot...

Seriously, though, I wish there was a magic wand which made me hate overeating and love exercise. Unfortunately, my emotions on those two things are exact opposites.

Looking forward to a trip to Charleston this weekend. You'll never guess why we're going...



Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

  1. Lands a'goodness, we do need a break from all this pushin'and pullin', dont we. Charleston is a unique place isn't it. we lived in Ft. Mill SC for awhile and the drive wasn't too bad. keep on a keeping on..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Charleston -- one of my favorite places to visit. So much history -- which is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear all is well with you, Lynn. Interesting that you've been called for jury duty so often - I've never done it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I understand, once you've been called for jury duty, your name is not supposed to come up again for a certain amount of time -- which is a good thing because I'd probably be called even more often.

    One of the bad things about jury duty is the amount of time you have to sit and wait -- and during lot of that time, they won't even let you read -- I guess they want everyone to pay attention to what's going on -- but it makes for a very long day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about jury duty. I've been called repeatedly, and yet I know people who have never been called. A friend of mine who worked with the county where I used to live said that they put reliable jurors in a pool. Don't know if they're allowed to do that, but I think some places do.

    I also love Charleston. Wonderful city!

    An old friend of mine is a professor at College of Charleston, and I love to look at her Facebook pictures.

    No matter the reason for your trip, I hope it's enjoyable in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess part of my previous post got cut off. That's what I get for not proofing before I hit enter.

    Just wanted to say that the older I get, the more I realize I just don't know very much, and I find myself often praying to the Lord, "I don't know but I know You do. Please help me know what to pray." This has given me great comfort, and it's truly amazing the sense of peace and clear mindedness that I've experienced from this not to mention answered prayer.

    I realize this is probably not anything new to you, and I'm not sharing it to instruct you in any way. Just sharing my continual marveling at the Lord's power. But then it shouldn't be surprising to me when I consider what the scriptures say. The Lord is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home again...will share more of my trip later...

    Yes, I know what you mean -- there comes a time when you really do have to say, "God, I have no idea...you take it from here..."

    ReplyDelete