Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Sunday, October 12, 2008

Real Simple

Okay, so I said I was weary of politics but I just sent a Letter-to-the-editor to my local newspaper. The letter -- a response to another letter -- was short and to the point so we'll see -- I think I've sent in three or four letters over the years I've lived here and, so far, they've printed every single one. Either not too many people write in or I'm just that good! I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Anyway, the original letter-writer claimed that the reason white southerners weren't voting for Senator Obama was because of racism. As I said in my letter, I'm not claiming racism doesn't exist -- sure it does -- and not only in the south -- but I think people need to think about what they're saying before they actually let words slide out of their mouths. I'm sure there are some people who won't vote for Obama because he's black -- but what about all the people who will vote for him because of the same reason? Excuse me but I think that contains a touch of racism as well. As I pointed out in my letter, I make my choices based on issues, not on skin color. Were Senator Obama a candidate for the Republican party, he'd be getting my vote. He's not getting it because I don't agree with him. Not because of the color of his skin.

Real simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment