Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Thursday, February 5, 2009

Dear Mr. King

Author Stephen King recently made his feelings known about two fellow authors:

"The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn," he said. "She's not very good."

What's that all about, Mr. King? I wouldn't think it would be professional jealousy or sour grapes -- though that's what it smacks of -- since you are a prolific, published and paid author yourself and have absolutely no need to be petty.

Okay, so authors can have opinions -- but, hey, that statement is really, well, mean. Even if that's what you truly think, why say it out loud? What good does it do other than making Ms. Meyer feel bad (hopefully she has a thick skin -- but, even so, it can't be pleasant to hear something like that)? And, how's this working for you? Did it make you feel better? Superior? What?

I haven't read any of Ms. Meyer's novels (TWILIGHT series) nor have I read any of Mr. King's later works (not anything to do with him or his writing -- just a change in what I like to read -- years ago, Mr. King's vampire story, SALEM'S LOT, scared the living hell out of me). I don't know whether I would like Ms. Meyer's writing but, even now, as a not-yet-but-hope-to-be-published author (and, yeah, I've written a vampire story), I wouldn't bad-mouth her or any other author -- and, if I were already a well-known author -- I'd definitely keep my mouth shut and leave the harsh comments to the professional reviewers or book bloggers (and, hey, for the record, they don't need to be mean, either -- you can always get a point across courteously, if you ask me).

Mr. King isn't the only author who has dissed other writers -- but he may be the one of the more famous ones. I've been on a few author blogs where the same sort of thing happened -- though not quite as public -- and I haven't been impressed with that, either.

Anyway, if I were Ms. Meyer, I think I would have only one response:

Dear Mr. King...bite me...

4 comments:

  1. Good to know I am not alone. I haven't read Meyer either but obviously she is a good storyteller or why would she be so loved? I don't understand for the life of me what his motivation would be...like you I thought jealousy. Maybe he is just a mean person...I don't know but I do know I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing that got me worked up is WHY he even had to say such a thing -- just say "I don't like her style" or "that's not my kind of book" but not that she's a bad writer. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't but what possible difference could -- or should -- it make to him? It just seems like an ugly thing to do. But maybe I'm not living in the real world!

    Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, i think he just felt the need to act like a horse's you-know-what. I don't even know if I will even buy another one of his books. His behavior was just unclassy and very unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree -- very unclassy and unprofessional -- and pointless -- I mean, really, what exactly did he accomplish? Other than drumming up publicity for both of them, maybe -- as if either one needed that! I've seen blogs where folks are defending his right to say whatever he wanted -- well, of course he can -- but that doesn't make it right!

    Glad you dropped in!

    ReplyDelete