Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Monday, March 23, 2009

Aw, nuts!

From Imagination Prompt

Are you ready to change that one thing about yourself that drives you nuts? How?

One thing?! Seriously?!

I actually have worked on changing some things about myself that I don't like, namely my ability to get overwrought about things which really don't matter. Not that I don't still do it on occasion but I've really begun (finally) to learn what's worth it and what isn't. Most things will work themselves out, one way or the other. You do your best, then you have to step back and let it run its course. There's nothing like planning a wedding, which we did last year, to teach you not to sweat the small stuff.

I've definitely learned to not be a people-pleaser, so that's been a good change, though I'm not so sure I've ever really been one. I really don't care what someone else thinks about me. However, this is not a free pass to say whatever pops into my head, do absolutely anything I have a mind to do or to be rude and unsympathetic (the only thing that I'm totally unsympathetic about is people who smoke, then complain about respiratory illnesses or who have no money to burn except, somehow, on cigs). Other than behaving in a decent and courteous manner, I'm not looking to please anyone.

I have a tendency to be judgmental. I'm much, much better about this though I think it's one of the hardest habits to break. We tend to judge other people on what they wear, how they rear their children, their opinions (political or otherwise), their religion (a big one), etc. -- we think we know better than they do, that we have all the answers -- and we may have answers -- but only for ourselves. Before any of us take someone to task, we'd better take a long, hard look in the mirror. It's human nature to be judgmental so I know I'm not alone in this -- though "everyone else is doing it" is never a good excuse (just ask any parent!).

But my number one nut-producing activity is how I deal with a certain person in my life. I tend to grit my teeth and internalize -- and then feel guilty about it. More than anything, I wish I could just let this kind of thing roll off my back but, as of yet, I haven't found the off switch. Because of this, I think I actually get physically ill -- not to be mention very tired, emotionally and mentally. I would change this in a heartbeat if I could. I know it's my attitude which has to change because the other person's attitude certainly isn't going to any time soon.

Anyway, I suppose, if you ask my husband what, about me, drives him nuts, he could probably come up with a list a mile long. And, really, he's the one who has to live with me. I'm just on the inside, looking out.



No comments:

Post a Comment