Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Books, books and more books

Over on Rosina Lippi's blog, there is an excerpt from THE ENDLESS FOREST, the next (and last) novel in her WILDERNESS series (she writes these under the name Sara Donati). I read the first one, INTO THE WILDERNESS, because I'd heard that there was a mention of the beloved Jamie Fraser (and Claire) contained within the pages. After I started reading, though, I fell in love with the books -- and Nathaniel Bonner -- so I'm looking forward to reading THE ENDLESS FOREST, although "The End" on this one will make me sad (even if the ending is a happy one).

Speaking of Jamie Fraser, the next novel in Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER series, AN ECHO IN THE BONE, will be out on September 22, 2009. I had the first four of these books on my bookshelf forever before I actually read them -- but once I did, I was hooked. I was fortunate that I had chosen to read (and finish) them right before the fifth book came out but I've had to wait for this next one just like everybody else. It'll be so good to be in Jamie's world again. I don't think this is the last in the series -- maybe one more? I'm not much of a crybaby when I read books but I imagine the last one will get me going.

Also, I've been neglectful in mentioning a few other books...

One is THE TRAITOR'S WIFE by Susan Higginbotham. This one's been out awhile but has just been reissued. I love reading historical fiction set in medieval times -- especially when it's based on real people (Hugh le Despenser, Eleanor de Clare, Edward II) -- and this novel is one of my favorites.

AS SHADOWS FADE is Colleen Gleason's last novel in the Gardella Vampire series and is in bookstores now. It's funny -- though I love vampires -- and have written a vampire novel myself (unpublished) -- I don't read a lot of vampire books. I discovered this series because of an article in my local newspaper and I'm glad I did -- they're just, well, fun. I'm on Team Max, by the way.

Another book, I've really got to get hold of is TUCK by Stephen Lawhead -- also in this series are HOOD and SCARLET. They are a different kind of retelling of the Robin Hood legend.

I've been having a great time on Paperbackswap -- I sent off several requested books and have gotten several in return. I've got a pretty long wishlist and am saving most of my credits in case the books I really want become available (depending where I am on the wish list roster -- I have several where I'm "1 of 1"). Check this site out if you're wanting to unload a few books and are looking for a way to replenish your TBR pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment