Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Monday, April 20, 2009

Am I Blue?

Well, no, not any more than usual, but it is the name of my new story which I'm posting on my forum in the Current Fiction section. I'm always torn when I start something new because I think: is this something I might want to try to get published -- or is this just a free-for-all? The truth is, sometimes I don't really know until I've finished the thing. So, for now, Blue is open for reading, as are a few other things which are not in my hope-to-be-published queue.

I admit I've done very little toward getting published. I've sent off a few query letters and my complete manuscript (Mr. Parrish -- a vampire novel) was requested by one publisher but nothing came of it (I'll write about that one day -- it's a much longer story than these few words would indicate). Sometimes I think being published isn't in the cards for me -- and I'm not sure I have the fire inside me to really work toward that elusive goal.

I've been writing non-stop for about five years now -- have cranked out various novels in various genres and have enjoyed myself tremendously in doing so (and I hope they've been enjoyed by those who've read them). But, last year, after my daughter's wedding (and trying to finish a story -- which I finally had to give up on until after the wedding), dealing with some depression issues and suffering the loss of a beloved dog, I knew I needed a good, long break. Which I have now taken. It took me awhile to figure out which story I wanted to tell and, for whatever reason, Blue is it.

I've learned so much in my writing endeavors -- especially the (bad) habits I've needed to break. Some I have broken -- and, when I go back and read my earlier work, I can really see the difference. I'm not saying I'm a great writer -- just that I'm a better writer than I use to be. And maybe that's all I can ask.

There are so many people out there who want to write and I think that's the key. You have to want to do it and enjoy it. Lord, I can't even imagine having to be published for a living. I believe my muse would walk right out the door and never look back if I had to look at writing that way. I'm fortunate that I don't have to and can just write on a whim, though I'm well aware that if a manuscript is accepted, you do have to answer to someone, somewhere. But right now, I'm only answerable to me. And I'm a pretty easy boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment