Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dream a little dream...

From Imagination Prompt:

Do you have reoccurring dreams? What are they about?



I have two -- one still happens, the other has pretty much stopped -- because, I believe I figured out what it meant.

The first recurring dream is what I call my "stress" dream. It's always about water. Lots and lots of water. Sometimes I'm on a boat, in a storm. Sometimes I'm on the shore but the waves are huge and crashing down over me. Sometimes I'm trying to drive a car through a flooded area. Sometimes I'm in the water but a long way from shore. If I'm really stressed out there's usually something in the water with me. Not very nice things. With teeth.

Why water equates with stress, I don't know. I'm not afraid of water. I can swim. But there it is -- maybe it's just my brain's way of letting all the stresses out. So, why couldn't I have dreams about a peaceful, flowing river instead?

I dunno -- maybe it keeps me from beating the living daylights out of someone.

The other dream -- which I haven't had in a long time -- is about restrooms.

In the dream, I'm somewhere unfamiliar -- it could be campus, a large building, a shopping center or even a whole city. And the problem is there is only one restroom -- and wherever I happen to be is a long way from it. I have to get directions, then overcome all sorts of obstacles to get there (locked doors, fences which I have to climb, walking uphill all the way).

Did I mention I really have to go?

So, I finally get there but...the place is absolutely filthy. I mean so filthy you wouldn't let your dog go in (well, not my dogs!) So, filthy, you wouldn't dare lettuce turnip and pea.

And, remember, this the only restroom. For miles and miles.

Fortunately, about this time, I always wake up.

So, what does this mean? Well, I figured out that I tend to have high expectations but the reality usually doesn't end up being nearly as good as the fantasy. It's a rush to get there, only to find that there isn't all it's cracked up to be.

If I had a good crack joke, I'd insert it here.

Maybe it's because I'm always spinning stories in my head and I tend to create scenarios which never happen -- and I end up with a reality which leaves me slightly disappointed because I was hoping for more -- and also leaves me with that bothersome question -- is that all there is?

I'm getting stressed out now.

I think I need some water.

No comments:

Post a Comment