Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Friday, April 29, 2011

His Mother's Smile

Thirty years ago, Mark and I got married eleven days after Charles and Diana. In 1982, we moved to Augusta, GA, on the day Prince William was born. In 1984, she and I were pregnant (briefly) during the same time. In 1997, Diana died on my birthday. That Christmas, I was surprised with a puppy -- a Boston Terrier who I named "Spencer" in her honor.

Both Diana and Spencer are gone now but they leave me with memories which I would not trade.

I've never been to England but I have always loved British history -- and the pageantry of the British monarchy. It fascinates me. The naysayers like to point out, with so many terrible things going on in the world  -- wars, devastating tornadoes -- that it is somehow wrong to celebrate a happy event. Pray tell when are there not terrible things going on in the world? There are, and forevermore will be, flowers pushing up among the ashes. Hope springing eternal. It's why and how we go on. If we didn't have hope, we would have all perished in despair by now.

The wedding of William and Kate has given people another reason to say ugly things --  about royalty in general -- but also about the people who enjoy such things. I've never quite understood the need to put someone down for something that gives them joy. I don't watch football or baseball -- couldn't tell you who plays for what team -- couldn't even tell you who played in the last Superbowl -- but I respect that some people set their calendars around these sporting events.

I really don't care what the UK spent on the wedding. Whatever it was, it probably also brought in tons of revenue. With our own country rife with wasteful spending, fraud and pork, I can only say fix your own house before you complain about another. I'm not a citizen of the UK, anyway, so it's not my business -- no more than it's my business what my neighbor is spending on their daughter's wedding -- nor theirs as to what was spent on my daughter's.

I thought the wedding was beautiful, enchanting, even sweet -- and I cried a little while I watched.

Because, for a moment, I saw his mother's smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment