Welcome to LIS!!

summer photo summer3_zpss1lsq81m.gif
As an aspiring writer, I blog about whatever happens to move me at the moment -- though some posts contain serious content, my big-picture goal is to bring a little humor into an often humorless world! Welcome, y'all, and make yourself at home! Please make sure you update your bookmarks!


When you are offended at any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger...Epictetus





Monday, May 2, 2011

Being Human

Humans are a judgmental lot. Religious or non-religious, we judge from the time we get up in the morning until we close our eyes at night.

We judge how people dress (I would never wear that!).

Well, I might not but it's because it looks horrible on me.

How they raise their children (I'd never let mine do that!).

Their little noses will be snotty and they'll have chocolate stains on their shirts, no matter what.

The way people vote. (Why, you're just stupid and uneducated and from the South)

No, no and yes.

The way people worship (you can't worship God in a contemporary service -- it's in the Bible!)

Oh, really? Where exactly?

Even saying someone shouldn't be judgmental is being judgmental. I mean, after all, what is judging but thinking somebody is doing something the wrong way -- or not the way you would do it?

I guess this hit home today because of the death of Bin Laden. So many people were quick to judge others who they felt were being a little too celebratory. I'm not saying that some words/actions weren't over the top but I can't help but feel that most people were celebrating not so much the death of an individual but the death of pure evil -- which happened to wear the face of Bin Laden.

I could be wrong but how do I know what's in anybody else's heart?

I admit I'm judging a little bit today because of the one-Bible-verse postings (mostly on Facebook)  about how we should treat our enemies, fallen and otherwise. I've seen for myself how easy it is to pull one verse out of the Bible and run with it. But the main thing is, I think some people may be using these verses as a condemnation of others.

But condemnation has another name:
 
Judgment
 
Easy to recognize when others are doing it. Not always easy to see in the mirror.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...

Guilty as charged. Sometimes it's just too hard to take a good, long look.

That's why I call myself a practicing Christian...not because I go to church regularly...but because I'm always trying, and often failing, to get it right...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment